Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Dirt Lullabies: A Novel Review!

I had the privilege of reading the new novel by author Jeremy Megargee, Dirt Lullabies.
Honestly, the opportunity came about in a pretty cool way...we've been following each other on Instagram for some time, when suddenly, a message appeared! Jeremy asked me to read Dirt Lullabies and I agreed, hence where we are now!

Let me tell you, guys, I ripped through this book. 5 hours, and I was finished with the whole thing. It was a snowy day here in New York (I'm writing this on Thursday night, but you guys will see this on Tuesday) so I had a little time on my hands to sit down and truly get involved in a book.
Well, I didn't exactly expect that I would be so immersed in this book that I would finish it in one sitting. I also didn't know I could sit still for 5 hours.

Let me give you a quick synopsis:
Roman Merrick lives in West Virginia with his parents, and the family is just barely scraping by. He discovers a crack in the ground in the root cellar beneath his home that could just be the answer to all of his family's problems...when a melodic voice calling itself M drifts up from the crack promising a way out, Roman is faced with a life-altering decision.

I KNOW, even the synopsis is awesome. The story is very original, and I found myself slightly crushing on the antagonist, M, which is pretty disturbing. I mean, you're going to have to read it to find out why.

It's gory, it's gripping, it doesn't let you go, and I was turning pages like a madwoman. I probably looked insane reading it. Good thing I was curled up in a ball under the blanket to read it during this insane weather. The characters are awesome and memorable, and I absolutely love their stories. It just feels so complete- you don't finish reading with any questions like "wait why did that happen?" or "who was that?" or anything like that, it's completely full-circle and cohesive, which is nice. Also, there may or may not be an awesome goth girl that reminds me a lot of myself.....she's my favorite.

I honestly don't have enough good things to say about this novel. I loved every second of reading it and I am so honored to have been asked to give it a read. If you're looking for a novel to really grab your attention, Dirt Lullabies is absolutely a great place to start. Also, you'll be supporting Indie writers, which is even more awesome, because their talent needs to be exposed!

Let me know if you decide to read Dirt Lullabies, you're really missing out until you do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment