Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Good Marriage: A Review

This is a review of the film, not the short story by the ever-so-incredible Mr. Stephen King.


I went into watching this film with absolutely no idea as to what it was about, so I went in with a clean slate. Normally, I judge a film way before I watch it and that's how I decide whether or not it's worth watching (I typically check the first website that comes up when you type the name of the film, because, you know, that's the most reliable source of information as to what a film is about...kidding...) but this one, I went in completely clueless. I read the synopsis on Netflix, and jumped right in.

The story is about a wife who learns that her husband has been keeping a major secret from her throughout their 25 years of marriage, and she has to decide whether or not to stay with him, even though she knows what he's doing when he's on "business trips".

I'm personally a huge Stephen King fan; I dig into his books and I don't come out until I'm completely done. I'm sure A Good Marriage was no exception as a short story, because his writing is so complex and enthralling.

But the film. I honestly don't have words for how awkward the film was...it was completely anticlimactic. I was really disappointed about the lack of thrill;  I was pretty much counting the minutes until it was over.

The acting was mediocre. The story was great, and I give credit to the story that the script came from because the potential was absolutely there, but the only acting job worth noting was Darcy, played by Joan Allen. She was great, the rest of the cast lacked in enthusiasm and skill. To be honest, Kristen Connolly was probably the worst part of the film, and I adored her in Cabin in the Woods, but watching her in this film, she constantly looked like "I don't want to be here".

The chemistry between the characters was so awkward, and it ended so abruptly with no explanation or resolution.

If I could give this film a rating out of 5 stars, I would give it a 1.

Sorry, A Good Marriage, I think this might be my first negative review! Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment