Thursday, February 12, 2015

What It Means to be a Horror Fan

This is a super sappy post, I'm just warning you guys. There are a lot of things that have occurred to me over the last few months especially, but since I've truly become a part of the horror community.

This whole community has become a lifestyle. The idea that these twisted, terrifying things that exist in the world really bring a group of people together is...well, disturbing, but also so sobering, because I always thought I was the only person in the world who had a crush on Edward Scissorhands at 5 years old, or I was the only one who was sneaking out of the house to watch The Exorcist because my mom wouldn't let me when I was 9.

I have been welcomed into this community with nothing but open arms from everyone. The people I have met have been some of the most interesting humans I've ever had the pleasure of coming in contact with, from all different backgrounds.

So what does it mean to be a horror fan?
You're sick and twisted, and it's awesome.
You enjoy blood, gore, and the occasional beheading.
You go about your life as a normal person (which most people are surprised by, we don't go home and turn into Jeffrey Dahmer), you have a life, you have friends.
You live on the adrenaline of being terrified.
You think that the term "creepy" is a positive.
You're probably one of the coolest people in the world.
You defy the norm.

There are so many more things I could add to this list. To be honest, I never believed that I would fit in anywhere as a kid. I was bullied for years about how I looked, how I dressed, and what I liked. I was told by what was probably hundreds of people that I would never be able to go anywhere with the way I lived my life.

And instead, I grew up trying to suppress my love for the weird. It wasn't until right before I turned 20 that I found my love again, and that rush of being terrified but being so intrigued and wanting to be there left me feeling almost lost. I told myself I couldn't hold the love back anymore, and so I let it flow.

Here I am about 2 years later with a horror collection that's slowly engulfing my entire bedroom, relationships with some of the most beautiful people in life and on Instagram, and I am so proud to call myself a horror fan.

I take a few hours out of my day every day to post here, post on Moviepilot, make sure I watch films that are classic, or getting reviews (good or bad) so that I can tell you guys how I feel about them, and I am eternally grateful that you all support me the way you do. I think about my horror family every single day and how they've embraced me as one of the fellow weirdos.

It's not a hobby, it's not something we do in our free time, it's a lifestyle. There's no other word for it. When you're truly a horror fan, it's your life. I'm willing to be weird forever, and I can't wait to love every second of it.

Sincerely, truly, deeply, from the bottom of my heart, I love you all.
Until next time, while I'm still trying to get that HorrorBlock video up. -sigh-

No comments:

Post a Comment