Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Digging Up the Marrow: A Review!

Hello my ghoulies! I decided to take on a movie that's gathered a lot of attention over the last few weeks...as you can tell by the title, that film is Digging Up the Marrow.
It's almost like a found-footage-type film, but there's something so much more genuine about it that completely blows other found footage films away. The characters are more relatable and at no point do they ever come across as "clueless" or "ditzy" as they often do. They usually choose characters that are cliched, and in this one, each personality is so vastly different.
It showcases Adam Green (as himself in the film, AND as the director) meeting a seemingly delusional fan who brings him to what he believes is the hub where monsters live. He calls it "the Marrow". Honestly, it kind of reminded me of Nightbreed. And if you don't know Nightbreed, it's Clive Barker, it's awesome, and you should watch it.
Anyway! Green begins to think this fan is delusional until they catch something seriously strange on their camera.

Here's my review of the film:
I thought it was awesome. I was drawn in from the first few minutes, and having read a synopsis I was excited to see how they pulled it off. About halfway in I started thinking I was losing interest a little bit- things were starting to get a little repetitive, but it's like a roller coaster ride of emotions. You're angry, you're a little freaked out, you're annoyed because one character is upset with another and you just want it resolved, you're excited, and then you're pretty terrified again.
The movie is a quick hour and a half, and it somehow ties in all of the beautiful emotions involved with horror without missing a beat. It also showcases the gorgeous artwork of artist Alex Pardee, but in real-life monster form. (If you haven't seen Pardee's work, I highly suggest you do...there will be at least one piece that will make you say "wow", I promise) The monsters are awesome, and the story is pretty believable. By no means is it meant to be a "paranormal" horror film, they make that clear. They want to let you know these monsters are real.
If I had to give it a rating out of 10 (10 being the best), I'd give it an 8.5, reason being I wish I wasn't disinterested in the middle, but that's literally the only reason.

If you're looking for a well-made, current horror film that actually ties in a good storyline with the right amount of scare factor, this is your kind of film. I'm normally very picky and really thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Let me know what you think when you watch it, horror family!

No comments:

Post a Comment