Thursday, January 8, 2015

Ghost Adventures: My Guilty Pleasure

For those of you that have never watched Ghost Adventures, I plead you to do so. It started out as a joke between a group of my friends, and somehow turned into something that I watch daily. It is so, so hard to admit that.
It's on Netflix, so if you can't catch it on the Travel Channel (the station it originated on), you can catch a handful of the "best of" episodes there. There are 10 seasons, but for some reason Netflix only has about 20 episodes online...that's about how many episodes are in each season. Step up your game, Netflix. You're slackin'. (But I do have to admit, the episodes they have posted are the best ones. Check out Black Moon Manor if you really want to get into it.)
I'm probably the last person to jump on this bandwagon...as soon as I started posting about it, people were telling me "you do know this show is in its 10th season, right?" Um, no, I didn't...so I apologize if you guys have been watching this show forever and are laughing at my lack of ability to keep up with things that have become mainstream. I'm usually the last to hear about things.
While the show showcases Zak Bagans, Aaron Goodwin and Nick Groff (who is no longer with the Ghost Adventures Crew, or GAC, respectively) and their crazy personalities getting themselves into some real shit with some mean ghosts, the best part for me are the EVPs they catch on their recorders.
Let me just tell you that the intro to the show says "I never believed in ghosts until I came face to face with one." Alright. Translation: "I never believed in ghosts...until I did." That kills me every single time.
ANYWAY, the personalities of these goons is really a big highlight of the show. I do my share of paranormal investigation (which I'll post about later, once I get a good recorder so I can share some of my EVPs I've caught), and never have I once taken my shirt off to provoke a handful of dead nuns with my tattoos. I probably wouldn't even if you asked me to. That's the kind of show this is. Zak loves himself more than the ghosts, Aaron is constantly making the best scared faces, and Nick is the rational one who usually stays pretty quiet.
Their investigations take them to some wild places, Black Moon Manor being my personal favorite. It was home to a smallpox hospital, and it is said that 200 people have died in that house. That's a lot of angry spirits. They caught some crazy EVPs, some of which are so clear that you have to think it's fake, but considering I've gone out in the field before and caught things equally as clear, you start to wonder...as insane as these guys are, could there really be a life after this one? They catch things that are so tailored to what they say, such as when Zak asks what color his EMF reader is turning, the ghost says "it's green"...what.
Needless to say, this is the show that inspired my love for paranormal investigation. Do I ever want to be a Zak Bagans? No, not exactly. I do think it's cool to find a niche like these guys did though, their personalities are addicting to watch because they're just so crazy. So, I'd like to be the ghost hunter that snuggles the ghosts. That's just who I am. I feel weird amounts of empathy.
Because of this show, I was given a P-SB7 as a gift (for those of you that don't know, that's what's called a Spirit Box, a radio sweeper that can catch RVPs between radio frequencies) and that's where it all started. I go out just about every chance I get to try and catch some weird stuff.
So, Ghost Adventures, while you're absolutely one of the dumbest shows I've ever watched...you're crazy addicting and you made me hunt ghosts. Good job, guys.
This is a fan video I found on YouTube...it's a remix of the best parts of Black Moon Manor. I quote it hourly. You will too. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment