Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Among the Sleep

Every once in a  while I like to switch it up and play through a horror game or two. I've played Outlast, which was absolutely beautiful and terrifying and awesome. Actually, to be more accurate: I was so scared playing Outlast that I made my boyfriend play through most of it for me, and I was giving directions as I saw fit. I mean, hello, Dr. Trager.
I just finished Among the Sleep today, and I have to say, I'm not impressed. You play the game as a toddler trying to find his mom in what appears to be a "haunted house" after something knocks his crib over in the middle of the night. Sounds like it could be good, right?
Some of the details are sweet, like the fact that because you're playing as a toddler, you can't read signs or anything. Everything looks like scribbles and squiggles, which is a nice touch. It makes it more accurate.

You also are told little bits and pieces of the story of what's going on in the child's life by drawings that he's drawn around the house. They're thrown around and they seem like they aren't really a part of anything related to the game, until you're about halfway through and you can say to yourself "oh hey, I just realized that's completely relevant."
Also, the only villain in the game is pretty creepy. They don't show themselves until three quarters of the way through, but once you see it, you don't want to be near it.

Now, I'm no video game expert, and coming from me, I feel like a not-so-good review takes a lot. But I felt like it took 3/4ths of the game for it to even begin to get remotely exciting. There's no threat, you're literally crawling around for most of the game with a bear who's pretty annoying. It's all very monotonous. You crawl around your "house" about 9 million times with no endangerment, so essentially, you're not doing anything. It requires zero skill (which for someone like me, is a good thing, because I button-mash until I figure out what everything does), but this one, you don't even run or anything. I had to hide twice.

I know, this is a really short post, but I figured I would let you guys know not to spend your money on this one. If you do decide not to take my advice and you play through it, let me know what you think!
But if you decide to skip this one...instead, spend it on the new Pinhead Funko POP that's being released some time this year...but don't endanger my chances of getting one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment