Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Damned (2014) Review

Every week, I try to browse Netflix and see if I stumble upon any films that seem interesting. I love when I find a film with pretty okay reviews that I've never heard of before, and that's how I found The Damned.

When a man and his fiancee travel to Bogota, Colombia to find his rebellious daughter and get caught in a flash flood. With no car, the family treks to an old hotel that holds a disturbing secret about the owner and the basement.

The problem that I had with this film is that it was incredibly predictable. As soon as the family discovered what was going on, it was all downhill from there.
What I did enjoy, though (as most of you probably don't know) is that the film is half in Spanish and half in English. I majored in Spanish when I was in college, and I'm pretty proficient in speaking the language, so although there were subtitles, it added to the experience of the film. They make a language barrier a big part of the film to keep you on your toes, because the protagonist has no idea what the locals are trying to tell him.
Although, at the end, suddenly someone who only spoke Spanish in the beginning was fluent in English which threw me off a bit.

I really enjoy paranormal horror films, so this one was decently okay for me. While, like I said before, it was predictable, I did enjoy the storyline behind the possession (although it wasn't explained well) and I mostly enjoyed the acting. The father in the film is pretty cool, to be honest.
All in all, the film was pretty middle of the road for me. I would suggest you watch it once just to see what you think, however I'd never watch it a second time.

If you've seen The Damned, let me know what you thought! I'd love to hear other opinions about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment