Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Sweet Treats: A Review

Last time I reviewed a novel by author Jeremy Megargee it was Dirt Lullabies, featuring creepy floor-demon M. I got lucky enough to receive a copy of Sweet Treats, his newest novel, featuring a new demon for me to want to hang out with.

I'm always excited to get new reading material; I consider myself a bookworm where I can sink my teeth into just about anything and everything. When you send me a novel about a demon possessing a child in order to take down a psycho killer? Count me in.

I've always been fascinated with the idea of demonic possession, so when I ripped into this book (as I always do with Jeremy's novels), I was really excited to see it come up! Basically, the premise of the story is that Jack, a twelve-year-old boy is kidnapped and tortured by a nasty man named Edgar. Left for dead, Jack is thrown into a sewer and encounters an unexpected light at the end of the tunnel in demon-friend Verminort. From there, some really awful things ensue, like Edgar holding his sister captive in his house upstairs, and downstairs he keeps a room full of preserved "treats"...-shudder-

I'll leave you with that little synopsis because I do highly suggest giving this novel a read. I've never come across anything like this story before. The characters, as usual, are really fun to read. Jeremy knows how to appeal to readers with his characters in a way that most writers don't- he makes them your friend. You aren't reading about someone you've never heard of and you have to learn about; somehow from the first time they speak, their first action, you know them. Jack is a kid, which makes the story sadder than intended, I'm sure...at least to me, Verminort is a chatty demon with daddy issues, and Edgar is the most repulsive, bumbling human being I think I've ever heard of. This was all within 101 pages that I developed these intense feelings for these characters.

Also, for those of you that read Dirt Lullabies, there may or may not be mention of one of my favorite characters here in Sweet Treats!

So as always, I leave you with this: Jeremy Megargee is one of the most talented authors that I've had the pleasure of reading. He and Zach Bohannon are both forces to be reckoned with in the horror genre among the likes of Stephen King and RL Stine; they have the ability to go to a very, very dark place, and they drag you right there with them...and they never cease to impress me.

One of the most important things we can do as a community of horror lovers here on the internet is support each other, and as always, it was a pleasure having the opportunity to support and incredible indie horror writer.
Purchase a copy of Sweet Treats on Amazon and support indie horror!

Until we meet again, spooks <3
Taylor Terrible

No comments:

Post a Comment