Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Mark Taylor's "Strange" Review

Hello again, ghosts and ghouls!
It feels like it's been quite some time since I've done a book review, doesn't it?! I'm glad to be back on the bookworm wagon and reading like I used to. I have to say, as much as I enjoy watching horror films, something about reading horror is so satisfying. I think it's the fact that you get to conjure up the stories in your head, and it's like a little nightmare while you're awake. No? No one else enjoys having nightmares? Well, that's awkward.

Anyway, on to the review!

I was very generously sent two works by horror author Mark Taylor, and I'll be honest with you, with the holidays happening and life's natural craziness taking place, I was only able to read one so far. That just means that we'll be getting two reviews, so maybe it's not a bad thing!

I read Strange first, which is a collection of short stories. I have a novel, Shutter Speed, waiting for me when I have a hot second to sit down and get really immersed.
With that being said, that takes me into my first favorite part about Strange- few things make me happier than a nice book of short stories. There's something about being able to read a full story start-to-finish in a day that's just so...gratifying.

The second thing I enjoyed about Strange is that there are a few different types of stories! There are the more psychological types ("Networking"), down to the downright horrifying ("Dead Game").

Typically when it comes to book reviews, I try desperately to not give too much away, which is what I'll do here. My favorite in the book is definitely "Dead Game"; it's weird, disturbing, and definitely my type of story. It involves death, so it's kind of a given.

As far as the book itself, the stories are quick and fun reads, so for someone in a rush or someone that's impatient with letting a story unfold, you're in luck! These stories average around 40 pages each.

There's something for everyone, as I said previously, from sci-fi to horror. Strange delivers a fun alternative to sticking to one long story that you may not feel connected to- instead you have the choice to read the stories out of order (because each story is totally different), though I read them in order for the sake of ease.

Thank you again to Mark Taylor who generously sent me such a fun read! If you'd like a copy for yourself, you can get it at http://www.amazon.com/Strange-A-Dark-Surreal-Collection-ebook/dp/B017MIFPRK.

I can't wait to get started on my copy of Shutter Speed!

Until next time, ghosts and ghouls,
Stay spooky!
Taylor Terrible <3

1 comment: